The Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute at the Missouri School of Journalism hosted a webinar this week to help journalists prepare for covering protests and riots.
The Q&A session was with Reuters photojournalist Leah Millis, hostile environment awareness trainers Cath Mossom and Caroline Neil of RPS, and National Press Photographers Association general counsel Mickey H. Osterreicher. They discussed:
– Safety and supplies journalists should have on them / in their car
– Tips for practicing situational awareness while working
– What to wear: helmets, bulletproof vests, googles etc
– What to do if you’re arrested while working
– Checking in, communication and debriefing
The webinar can be found here. A tipsheet can be found here.